It’s always the case that when you are going through a moment in your life where everything is really great and you’re so happy, something comes along which completely messes it all up. Or at least threatens to. Threatens to suck all the joy out of your life. Threatens to make you forget all the good things you have going on and all the wonderful people you have in your life. When you go through an event like that, it can be really hard to keep your head up and keep going. All you want to do is shut down and hide yourself in a cupboard until further notice. Random crying jags threaten to become the norm. Everyone feels like they are walking on egg shells around you. Something happened to me last week, in the middle of a period of glorious highs (one being appearing as a panellist at Social Media Week Lagos) which threatened to bring me low. It’s been a struggle to recover from that event, act normal and be my usual silly self. But I’m so thankful to my amazing family and friends who rallied round and have been super supportive. Everyone always says it’s important to surround yourself with positive people and it’s at times like these that you understand the truth of that statement. I don’t have a manual for how to get through a time like this but here are a couple of tips that have worked for me:
- Talk, cry to people you love and trust but who won’t let you lose yourself in the depressive spiral.
- Refuse to blame yourself or overanalyse how things could have happened differently.
- Accept the reality of the situation and focus on all the things and people you have in your life to be thankful for.
- Be honest with yourself and learn from what has happened so you can grow from the experience.
- Remind yourself on a daily basis that though you’re not perfect, you are a good person, capable and worthy of love.
- Pray and pray hard.
- Wear lots of make-up and aim to look your best when you go out. Pack sunglasses too!
I definitely don’t have all the answers so please feel free to share tips in the comments on how to deal with a personal crisis. Have a fantastic week!
Wearing: Dress – Vintage; Heels – ASOS; Bag – Jaeger; Sunnies – Ray Ban